February failure in Fail February

Rachel at Sew RED-Y has declared February to be the month to show off all those sewing failures. I have some hidden away in the closet, but wouldn’t you guess there’s a failed make right there on my sewing table.

This make was ment to be # 3 in the Deep Stash Challenge hosted by the Facebook Group “Sew Alongs & Sewing Contests”. It should have been a beautiful Marigold from Tilly and the Buttons. Marigold is a summer pattern and therefore meant to be sewn in light and draped fabric. Well, I thought I would give it a try in some cord anyway, so I wouldn’t have to wait until summer to use it. But as most of you probably have guessed  by now –  that didn’t work out as I had thought. To be honest, there’s so much extra fabric around the waist and crotch, that it seems like I’m wearing a diaper.

Well, I had some second thoughts about using cord before I decided to have a go. I browsed the internet for pictures of cord trousers to have a look at how the legs were. I found that I liked the ones with wide legs the best, so I added 1,5 cm to the legs. Hoping that the fabric would hang better and compensate for the lack of drape. I also tried to pack the fabric around my waist to see if the fabric would make rigid edges, but the cord was (and is) super soft so it looked ok. In my head the cord Marigold looked amazing, and I started to sew with great optimism.

It’s sad that the fabric didn’t work,  because I really like the softness in it, and I think it would have been perfect for some trousers or in a shirt.

So there you have it, my Marigold is laying on my sewing table (or our dining table), and I don’t know what to do with it. But at least I’m one experience richer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *